I love Falafels and my kids love these! BONUS..
Plus allergy friendly = extra BONUS!!!
Falafels are normally deep fried & served with hummus & tahini sauce, they are also great served in a pita with garlic sauce.
I serve mine with salad and home made tzatziki which is super simple to make and super healthy & delicious.
I bake mine but you can also cook these in a pan with some organic coconut oil, butter ghee, or your oil of choice.
BEETROOT FALAFEL RECIPE
. 2 400g can chickpeas, drained
. 1 red onion, finely chopped
. 2 cloves garlic, crushed
. 2 tsp cumin, ground
. 1/4 tsp turmeric
. 2 raw beetroots, grated
. Handful parsley, roughly chopped
. salt & pepper
. Sesame seeds to coat. (optional)
. Natural yogurt
. 1 Cucumber, grated.
. 1 small handful of mint leaves, roughly chopped.
optional add grated carrot, or celery so kids get some more veg.
METHOD – Falafel
Preheat oven to 220c
- Process chickpeas in a food processor into a course paste, scraping down sides as you go. Transfer to bowl.
- Add onions, garlic, cumin, turmeric, beetroot, parsley & salt & pepper. Mix with fork.
- Squeeze into balls, should make about 20.
- Pour sesame seeds onto plate & press falafels gently into them to coat.
- Brush falafels with oil of choice and roast for about 30-40 mins, or until beetroot is cooked through, turning & brushing with oil. Should brown nicely on outside.
METHOD – Tzatziki
- Place all ingredients into a serving bowl, season & mix well.
Serve with whatever floats your boat. Yummy in a wrap, with salad or by themselves as a snack.
ENJOY the many benefits of chickpeas…
. Fibre, Protein, Manganese, Iron, Low GI, Folate, magnesium, Weight loss.